Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Wednesday Wake Up #20

Facing Temptation

It's tough out there. Temptation is around every corner. You could just be driving to work and listening to the radio and a song could come on and tempt you to do something that is not easy for you to resist. It happens to me, often. It may not be a song, it might be music, a TV show or a movie. Sometimes it is a just a random thought that pops in my head. Just a thought.What I do with that thought is whether I win the battle over the temptation or I lose. The choice is in my control.


In Proverbs 25:28 it says "A man without self control is like a city broken into and left without walls." To me, that is deep. Imagine that the United States of America had literally no defenses set up. No aircraft carriers in the Pacific or Atlantic Ocean. No Army. No Navy. No Marines. No Air Force. Nothing. NOTHING!!! Do you know how easy it would be for another country to invade us everyday? Well, thankfully we are protected. The government set up years ago (as many governments do) a system of what to do if an invasion attempt was made. They set up defenses far in advance rather than wait until an attack comes. Well, shouldn't we do the same? Our minds must be protected. Our minds must be focused on what is godly. Even if it feels right and natural to us, it doesn't mean that it is (Proverbs 14:12). Check your beliefs against what Scripture says about it. Far in advance, focus on bible verses like the ones highlighted in this paragraph, or check out Romans 6. It outlines how we as Christ followers should be thinking even when in the face of sin and ways that we behaved before we believed in Christ.

Sin pulls us away from God. That plays into what Satan wants. He is not God's friend, but God's enemy. So when it is tempting to cut down someone and curse them out, that plays into Satan's plans for your life. When you are tempted to watch an adult film, or harm your body with drugs, or eat poorly or whatever it is, that pulls you away from being in God's will. What does a life look like when you are out of God's will? Problems, problems and more problems. Relational problems with family and friends. Extreme amounts of stress in trying to deal with everything that is going on. Those things that we did before we were believers need to be dead such as idolatry like your possessions, lust, covetousness, etc (Colossians 3:5-6).


To arm our selves with the army, navy, marines and air force of our spirit and mind, we need to put on the full Armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20). Focusing our minds on what is of God and what is pleasing to Him. We also need to be careful of who we are hanging pout with, I recently reread Proverbs 1:10 which reminded me of a life change I had almost 20 years ago when I was hanging with the wrong crowd. I was hanging with sinners who did not know God and were enticing me to do wrong and I fell for a long time. It took me to be in my 30's before I realized I needed to break away from certain types of people. As I grow in my faith I need to be around those who are Holy Spirit minded and filled and led. 

 
PLEASE SEE THE LOGOS AND LINKS BELOW TO SHARE VIA EMAIL, TWITTER, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST AND GOOGLE PLUS. THANKS! 

1 comment:

  1. As the new year approaches, the Armor of God is ready to protect all of us. We must do our part in strengthening and polishing that Armor with His word daily.
    May God bless and keep you close in the coming New Year !

    ReplyDelete