Sunday, September 13, 2015

Luke 2:49 - My Father's House

My Father's House

In this chapter we get to see Jesus's birth and an excerpt from when he was 12. The excerpt by itself could seem rather normal, but if you have read through Matthew and Mark with me, then you understand nothing about Jesus was normal, primarily because he was God in the flesh.

During the Feast of the Passover in Jerusalem, Jesus went with Mary and Joseph as was the custom. After it ended, Jesus was thought to be traveling back with them, but he was not with them. They returned to Jerusalem to see him sitting among the teachers asking questions and listening to them. Mary and Joseph were worried and I love the response Jesus had and I will tie this in to who we are today. Jesus's response in Luke 2:49 was “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?” 


It was the custom during this time for the son to take on the same work his father had involved himself with. We know Jesus was a carpenter as was Joseph, but we can't overlook (while I can understand the reason why) that Jesus is God's son, not Joseph's. While Jesus had taken on the customary apprenticeship of his earthly father, he also took on the work his Heavenly Father had for him.

God has roles for each of us, but if we are not in tune with what God want's from us, then we are just fulfilling earthly duties. I ask you this question, are you about your Father's business? Are you doing what it is God wants you to do? I don't just mean with work or school (but it could be that), but outside of the church for the purpose of spreading God's word and the life of Christ.

We must be about our Father's business and be in our Father's house. We are to do what God directs us to do out of obedience for Him. Even Jesus, after Mary and Joseph found him still in Jerusalem, he went back with them to Nazareth and was submissive to them (verse 51). Jesus was doing what he was supposed to and that was pleasing to God.


PLEASE SEE THE LOGOS AND LINKS BELOW TO SHARE THIS VIA EMAIL, TWITTER, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, AND GOOGLE PLUS. THANKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment