Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Wednesday Wake Up #15

Giving Thanks to God and Loving Family

As we get ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow let us not forget what is really important. It isn't about the food and the fixin's. It isn't about the football games (hard for me to say that one haha). But our focus should be on God first and then the family unity.


As we look at Psalm 100, the title of this chapter is A Psalm for Giving Thanks. The focus is giving thanks to God. The opening 2 verses tell us to make a joyful noise to the Lord and serve Him with gladness. We are to come in God's presence with singing. We are to be singing the Lord's praises. Yes, there are times were God needs to hear from us that we are upset, but are we complaining more to God than we are giving thanks to Him. We overlook what we are thankful about many other days of the year. Can't this be the year the beginning of a time where we let God know that we are thankful to Him for all He has done. Personally, God has done so much in my life from the jobs I have had, the people I have met, the schools I have attended. But, even more so the things I overlook every day. I don't always thank God for the fact that my car works (a huge blessing if you have known me since my first car in 1997). I have forgotten to thank God for where I live. I could have lived in a horrible neighborhood with horrible neighbors and crime, but I don't. When was the last time I thanked God for those simple things? Now is a very good time. And tomorrow. And for years to come.


And when it comes to family, how often do we tell them not just that we love them, but how we appreciate them? Do we come home and complain about work and life problems? Can't we start greeting each other with love and a "holy kiss? (Romans 16:16 and GotQuestions.org)" Let us pray with the family as we should. If we are not praying with the kids and our spouses and significant others, how then are our relationships based in God's word? We need to honor our parents, not just during holidays, but at all times (Exodus 20:12). Fathers need to not provoke their children to anger (Colossians 3:21). Mothers can wisdom and kindness to their children (Proverbs 31:26).

No matter which holiday has arrived let us remember to give thanks to God and let Him lead us as we connect with our families and friends whether it is a holiday or just any old day. Let us love regardless of the day (John 15:12).

PLEASE SEE THE LOGOS AND LINKS BELOW TO SHARE VIA EMAIL, TWITTER, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST AND GOOGLE PLUS. THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment