Friday, November 20, 2015

Friday Focus #14

The Open Doors of Freedom

Now that I am taking steps to live outside of my "box", I recognize my freedom. This is not just freedom in the choices I make, but the freedom from that which I fear. I feared heartbreak, broken relationships, and not getting what I wanted in life. I even feared being humbled from being wrong. But the perfect life where everything goes my way is not realistic, and it is not what scripture teaches us either. We are taught to follow Christ and submit to God's will in our lives.

I wanted freedom from fear, yet I did not ask. I didn't ask God for His strength in my daily life. I just adjusted my life based on what I thought the right decisions would be, yet it was not based in Biblical principles. We know about "Ask, Seek Knock" from Matthew 7:7-12. If it is in God's will and I ask Him for it and seek it and knock on the door it will be provided to me. If it is not in God's will then there may be a problem with my motives.


I wanted to be free from condemnation. If anyone person or group of people condemned me for a dream, goal or a sin I committed or if I felt they did not support me, into the "box" I would go. Jesus wouldn't condemn me or want me to go inside my "box." Not once have I ever read about Jesus condemning people for their sins, only calling out hypocrites who used God's word to undercut others for personal/political gain (like the Pharisees did). We read in Romans 8:1 (one of my favorites) that there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. I am free from the condemnation and judgment from others (we are not called to condemn Luke 6:37) and I am free from the condemnation of sin. Others look at the outside and do not see the heart as God does (John 7:24).


But with my freedom, I need to also be responsible. Just because I am coming out of my box it does not mean that I should run around and do all the things I want to do either. Yes God will forgive me when I repent, but what about my influence on others? What I do in my life can definitely affect others. I read in 1 Corinthians 8:9 about being careful that just because I can do something, I need to be careful not make another brother or sister in Christ stumble. While learning myself in God's will, I need to check my influence on others and make sure that I am in His will and not my own.


PLEASE SEE THE LOGOS AND LINKS BELOW TO SHARE VIA EMAIL, TWITTER, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST AND GOOGLE PLUS. THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment