Friday, October 30, 2015

Friday Focus #11

When The Storm Hits

Life isn't easy. There can be very, very tough times with no money, broken relationships, no where to live, no method of transportation to work, or even a death of a family member of friend. Each of those are storms....but what about when they all hit at once. Now what?


We can blame God and say that He did this to us. We can overlook how much we are in control of our own decisions that can lead to our storms. Some things do "just happen" but others are a result of decisions we have made that lead to the storm. Remember when Jesus walked on water and invited Peter out into the water, but as Peter started walked, he started sinking (Matthew 14:22-33)? Peter lacked faith that Jesus was able to walk on the water and even when he called out to Jesus, Jesus said "come." But, when Peter saw the wind he got scared and lost sight of Jesus and lost faith and started to sink. Peter was going to do something amazing through God's will and lost his focus and his faith and saw the problem as bigger than his Lord.


But what about those things that just happen not due to bad decisions (a lack of obedience) but just something bad happened? Your house burned down. Car accidents and injuries. Being assaulted. What do we do then? We don't blame God, we use our faith in God to stay on track and know that God will use that situation to be glorified. It can serve as a test, not a punishment (1 Peter 1:7). When God tests us we grow stronger to glorify Him. If everything is easy, how will we grow? We won't!! God doesn't want us to stay in our comfort zones. I used to "worship" the cars I owned or the women I have dated. God had every single one of them removed so that I could see Him better. Whether the car broke down, or was wrecked, or the girl was put on a pedestal, they all served as a set of blinders to keep me from seeing God's will.


From Kerry Shook on "Tracking a Miracle in the Storm"

PLEASE SEE THE LOGOS AND LINKS BELOW TO SHARE VIA EMAIL, TWITTER, FACEBOOK, PINTEREST AND GOOGLE PLUS. THANKS!

4 comments:

  1. This message is so true. Currently I feel lost at sea, just drifting without direction. My faith is tangled within my life's storm keeping me from raising the sail and directing my ship of life.
    Thanking God for His promises and humbling myself, seeking prayer from those who call Him Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you used the ship and sailing metaphor as Kerry Shook (or Rick Warren) did the same thing in his book One Month to Live. His specific example was about doing what you are supposed to do. Ships that sail during storms (or rough waters) are more likely to survive than those that stay docked. Equate that to how we are created and staying frozen (lacking faith) during rough times. I will pray for you and just know that I am a phone call/text away. We gotta stay here for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throughout my journey battling brain cancer, my friends have been a sweet support system that God has provided! From meals to taking me out. To giving my hubby a break

    ReplyDelete
  4. your family is awesome. you know I know : )
    God Bless!!
    Hope we can all meet up soon, since I'm basically a cousin : )

    ReplyDelete